Waterfalls are plentiful when visiting the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. However, there are few waterfalls that are as majestic and breath taking, than Tahquamenon Falls. Here’s where you need to be in 2020
Directions to Tahquamenon Falls
Tahquamenon Falls is located 12 miles west of Paradise and 28 miles east of Newberry, MI. The Falls are off of Highway 123 in Michigan’s North East corner of the Upper Peninsula The Upper and Lower Falls are separated by 5 miles and is about a 10 minute drive between the two.
Driving Distances from these cities:
- Marquette: 2.5 Hours
- Munising: 1.5 Hours
- Houghton: 4 Hours
- Traverse City: 3.5 Hours
- Grand Rapids: 5 Hours
- Detroit: 6 Hours
Hiking to Upper Tahquamenon Falls
The Tahquamenon Falls Upper Falls is about a 1.5 mile paved loop. This loop will take you to a few different platforms offering a variety of amazing viewpoints. Before descending down to the main platform closest to the falls, there are a few viewpoints to take in the falls if you don’t want to scale the stairs.
The two main viewing platform requires visitors to scale up and a down a flight of stairs that definitely won’t be easy for everyone but most should manage. The one closest to the falls is 94 steps, while the lower “gorge view”, is 116 steps
Hiking to the Lower Tahquamenon Falls
The Lower Falls is a lovely series of cascades that are easily accessible for visitors. Follow the elevated forest trail and .3 mile later you will arrive. The lower falls aren’t as scenic from a waterfall standpoint but what makes them worthwhile is the ability to wade in the water upstream, take a boat ride around the area, or hang out for a picnic.
Hiking from Lower to Upper Falls
Hiking from the Lower to the Upper Falls or vice versa, is a gorgeous but demanding hike. The hike from the Lower to the Upper Falls is 4 miles one way and is not an easy hike. Factor in heat, bugs, exposed roots, downed trees, hills and more. If you’re a good hiker, you will love it.
Important Info to Remember
- The Tahquamenon Brewery is adjacent to the Parking Lot at the Upper Falls Location. Hot days in the summer means this place is packed
- Tahquamenon Falls Park hours are from 8AM-10PM
- Gas is limited in the area. Check your fuel levels before venturing to far
- Cell Signal is sporadic as it is in most parts of the UP
- Seasons vary drastically here. Pack for your season. Bug Spray, Winter Gear, Umbrellas
- There are ample bathrooms at both the Upper and Lower falls
- PETS are allowed on leash but CANNOT be left in cars. Violators will be ticketed.
- Tahquamenon Falls is the 2nd Largest state park in Michigan, behind Porcupine Mountains
- Daily 45 minute Tours start at 2 pm from the Fact Shack at the Upper Falls
- Jordans Shuttles run from lower to the upper falls from 12-8pm. $17 for first person & $3 for each additional person. THE 2020 SHUTTLE IS NOT RUNNING! NO SHUTTLE! Plan accordingly.
More UP Travels and Fun
If this hasn’t been on your radar, make sure it is! If you have anymore questions or suggestions for things to do please contact me or refer to my posts below. Words are hard to explain when you get to experience this beauty in person, so make sure you don’t skip it