Nestled in the North West section of Michigan, sits Traverse City. This Northern Michigan city is a must visit city for all Michiganders and out of staters. Let’s take a peek at why you need to experience one of my favorite places in Michigan today!
The Best of Traverse City (2020)
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Traverse City is the gateway to one of Michigan’s most popular natural attractions, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Sleeping Bear Dunes was recognized as the Most Beautiful Place in America by Good Morning America.
Here are some of the Best Things to do at Sleeping Bear Dunes:
- Dune Climb – This hike should no be taken lightly. The rolling dunes take you to the shores of Lake Michigan on this 4 mile hike. Be weary if it’s hot and you’re not in good condition
- Pierce Stocking 7 Mile Drive – The Pierce Stocking drive is the best way to get a sense of the grandeur of the dunes without the physical challenge. There are various viewpoints but the best are the 8 and 9 that require only a few minutes of walking to get the best view of Lake Michigan in the state. This scenic drive is OPEN during the Covid-19 Pandemic from 9 am to 1/2 hour after sunset.
- Pyramid Point – Pyramid Point has incredible views of Lake Michigan but requires a 1 mile hike. Get here if you can
Let’s start with one of the main draws to Traverse City, Beer! Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo might get all of the attention, but Traverse City has slowly become a major destination for Beer Drinkers. The City has more than 16 breweries and best part about it, most of them are situated in close proximity.
Here are some of the BEST Breweries in Traverse City:
Right Brain Brewery
The Filling Station
Traverse City is the Cherry Capital of the world! Make sure to plan your visit when the National Cherry Festival is in town. If you are lucky you can catch the Local Northwoods Baseball League team, the Pit Spitters in action.
The Traverse City Wine Region is the 6th highest grape production region in the U.S. The area has quietly stayed under the radar while having an excellent growing climate with it’s cold winters and long summers.
The region stretches into the Leelanau Peninsula and the Old Mission Peninsula that offers visitors sprawling Lake Michigan scenery and a lovely bucolic setting.
Here are some of the Best Traverse City Wineries:
- Left Foot Charley
- Bonobo Winery
- Brys Estate Vineyard & Winery
- Mari Vineyards
- Bowers Harbor Vineyards
Are Wineries in Traverse City Open during the Covid-19 pandemic? Yes, the wineries are open but are operating on limited capacity. Expect longer lines and limited winery experiences.
Michigan Photos for Sale
Biking in Traverse City is a main draw for many folks to the region. With options like the TART trail, Vasa Mountain Bike trails, and downtown bike paths, bikers will love pushing their pedals here.
Golfers will absolutely love the golf courses near Traverse City. Options for Golfers to tee it up include:
The Bear Golf Course
Traverse City Country Club
Paddle enthusiasts have the option to paddle throughout some of the cities canals. Want more? You can take part in a Paddle Brewery Tour when you make your way here!
America's #1 Ice Cream
Moomers was recently awarded BEST ICE CREAM Scoop in the United States by USA Today. Have your fill in town or drive out into the country side and visit their farm for an authentic taste of the Nations Best Ice Cream.
Traverse City is home to a number of nationally recognized events. Here are some of the most popular ones you will want to find your way to:
- National Cherry Festival
- TC Food Festival
- TC Film Festival
- Bells Iceman Cometh
- Blossom DAY
The Grand Traverse Bay and beyond hosts some excellent fishing opportunities for those in the area. Combine that with the sparking blue waters of Lake Michigan and you will surely have yourself a day. Find TC Fishing Charters here
One of the most overlooked parts about a city can be its transportation system. For those who have had to much to drink or just don’t want to think about parking downtown, the city has the Bayline Bus. The Bayline Bus runs from 7 am-11 pm everyday and runs every 15 minutes with stops at some of the most popular places in town.
More About the Area
The region has three different sections to familiarize yourself with:
- Traverse City Area
- Leelanau Peninsula – Leland, Suttons Bay and Northport. Leland is Michigan’s “Fishtown” and Suttons Bay is home to Hop Lot Brewing. Northport is at the Top of the Leelanau Peninsula and features the Grand Traverse Lighthouse at the tip.
- Old Mission Peninsula – Wineries, Wineries, and Wineries. Follow it to the tip to find the Mission Point Lighthouse.