Marquette Michigan Winter Guide: Things to do NOW (2020)
When winter arrives in Marquette, you better be prepared. With so much to choose from and so little time, what do you do when Winter comes passing through? Mark your calendars for these Marquette Michigan winter events and things to do!
Marquette Michigan Winter
- Fat-Ish Bike Race
- Noquemanon Ski Marathon
- Honey Bear Classic
- Polar Roll
- UP 200
Fat-Ish Fat Tire Bike Race
Fat Tire biking is huge in this corner of the world. On January 4-5th, Ishpeming will host the Fat-Ish Fat Tire Bike Race. The 4th will be the race day where the 5th will be a church ride but the entire weekend will feature Free Tubing, Demos, Food Trucks and more. More info on the event can be found HERE
Honey Bear Classic
On February 15th and 16th, Marquette will host Michigan’s Largest Fat Tire Bike Event, and hope you will make it too. The 2 day event will feature a 15 mile and 30 mile course that you can Fat Bike or snowshoe. More info can be found on their website here
UP 200 Sled Dog Race
If you’ve missed this event in years past, don’t miss out on this years UP 200 Sled Dog Race. This is the 29th year that this will be held and is always a Marquette winter treat. Dates of the race are from February 13-17th.
More info on the 3 races that will take place this year can be found on the events Website HERE . The UP 200 will not be happening this year because of the Covid-19 Pandemic. As of now the 2022 is still scheduled.
Marquette Winter Activities
- Ski Hall of Fame – Did you know that Ishpeming is home to National Ski Hall of fame?
- Snowboard Michigan – Michigan has the most ski resorts in the USA for all of those powder hounds out there.
- Fat Bike – With it’s close proximity to Lake Superior, the Marquette area receives a heavy dose of Lake Effect snowfall making it suitable for some great Fat Bike riding
- Ice Fishing – Set your bait and go drill a hole in Teal Lake or your favorite inland lake for some Superior Ice Fishing.
- Hockey – Northern Michigan University has a top rated program in the country for all of you hockey fans to enjoy the entertainment of high paced hockey in Marquette.
- Snow Shoe – An abundance of hiking trails doesn’t stop when the snow falls. Snow shoeing is a very popular winter activity in Marquette.
- Cross Country Skiiing
Upper Michigan Winter Things to Do
There are some other notable events taking place that but they will covered in other posts.
A must do trip in Winter is Skiing Mount Bohemia. Make sure you don’t miss out on your $99 pass for access to some of the nations best tree and extreme skiing.
Looking for somewhere to stay in Marquette? These are some notable spots to book for your trip when you come to Marquette. Book early because on weekends with big events, spots will fill up fast. If you can’t find vacancy or the price you want with any of my recommendations, check out AirBnb or VRBO.
Northern Michigan Photographer
Looking for more Marquette Michigan winter events or things to do? You can book a Marquette Photography Tour or go explore some excellent Marquette Cafes.
Want to go for a hike? Here you can find the Best Hikes in Marquette
Making your way to Munising? Make sure to explore Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Thanks for reading and if you have any questions about Marquette or any of these events, please reach out! Stay tuned for more and stay warm when out and about in Michigan this winter.